Skip to main content

Review: The Honjin Murders by Seishi Yokomizo

The Honjin Murders (Detective Kosuke Kindaichi, #1) The Honjin Murders by Seishi Yokomizo
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Well, this is my first of both translated Japanese mysteries and in particular, Seishi Yokomizo-san. I was vaguely familiar with the author's name from it being mentioned in some Detective Conan episodes. What I didn't know was how famous this author is in Japan, which googling the book afterwards amply told me.

The Honjin Murders is the first book in a series of 77 novels featuring the scruffy looking young detective Kosuke Kindaichi that Seishi-san wrote in his lifetime. Only two of the series have been translated to English till date.

The story of The Honjin Murders starts with a cheery narrator, fascinated by a crime committed ten years ago in the remote village of Yamanaza, visiting the location in order to get the material for his book on the same. Soon the reader learns about the Ichiyanagi family, their honjin lineage, the events before the fateful night and the greasome crime. The bride and the groom are found dead in their bedroom on the very night of their wedding day. Moreover, the main tatami room of the annex house, where the dead bodies lie, is locked from the inside and no outgoing footprints are visible on the recently accumulated snow outside. The mysterious three-fingered man, who was asking the way to the Ichiyanagi mansion, becomes the prime suspect, soon to be himself found murdered nearby. But is he really? And why is a sickle left embedded in the camphor tree outside the annex? And who plays the Koto in the night? More importantly, why does it seem like everyone of the family is hiding something?

When I took up the book, I wasn't aware that the story was first serialised more than half a century ago. As a modern reader, having read, watched and felt so many adaptations and derivations of classic mystery stories like this, there isn't much surprise in the tale. Ones all the characters have been introduced and the scene set, it's easy to more or less deduce all the rest of the story. Especially, since it's known that writers embed clues throughout the book, which any astute fan of the genre knows how to look for. However, in spite of this, this book was an interesting read, primarily because of two reasons. One, that it introduces Kindaichi-san, of which I would love to read more, to the point of going for the original Japanese editions, if necessary. And two, that the story emphasises numerous Japanese traditions and day-to-day things from the typical village life of 1937. There is a strong resemblance of watching a present-day mystery anime episode when reading the book. I think it's the quality of translation that lets some of the beauty of visually instructive writing of the original intact.

If not for the modus operandi, then atleast for the setting and the characters and for Kindaichi-san, The Honjin Murders is a quality read.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I write?

Initially I wanted to title this post,  On writing Diaries , however this thought-provoking question is far better. Although it may take me a long time to be an author per se, more or less, I have been a continuous writer since my seventh grade. What started with jotting down non-sense farce on daily routines during the middle school years, has now grown into some fierce rhetoric on vast ranging topics important to me in general. So, what is it about writing that I like so much? Unlike most of my friends, what has made me go on for so long now? Why do I write? And why do I plan to write more vigorously, more persuasively and more indiscriminately than ever in the coming future? Well, there isn't any plain simple answer to these. I write because I like to write. I write because it gives reality to all of these thoughts inside my head which couldn't find an route through the tongue. I write because it often makes me feel good. I write because I find this the best way to convey my

More reliance on technology means lesser human thinking ability!?

To a great extent I disagree with the statement that more reliance on technology will surely deteriorate human thinking ability. I find this idea to be faulty and based on some short term focus on human behavior. In my opinion the time period talked of is increased and a broader outlook is taken, technology will more probably become an integral part of our lives. In contrast to declining the human intellect, technological aides like hearing machines and seeing glasses will complement our abilities to interact with nature and greatly enhance our experiences.  Image © The New York Times Company Further, the statement appears dubious when one considers even our own present day experiences. For instance, the other day I saw a live telecast of the graduation ceremony of IIT Bombay on the internet. Owning to the COVID-19 condition, this year's batch had to rely upon tele-conferencing technologies to at

An Ordinary Day

To a majority of us, it is a known fact that some days are actually longer than a day. The day in question, however, wasn't. It was in fact meant to be one of the driest and the most barren of the days. The kind of a day one mostly spends snug on the bed with the largest exertion afforded to the limbs being the quiet finger pressings on a touch screen. And yet, looking back now, the singular chain of events from that day, though ordinary in themselves, assume such a perplexing proportion when taken together, that the day has remained so unequivocally imprinted in my mind. At that time I was working as a JSPS Post-Doctoral fellow in the Department of Physics at the University of Tokyo. I had come to Japan from India as a Master’s student about six years prior and had been living in Tokyo since then. Following the PhD degree, owing to my fascination with the city and in order to satisfactorily sum up my current research, I had chosen to continue at the