Skip to main content

astropy@GSoC Blog Post #5, Week 6&7

Hi,

How are you?

My dear mentors and I have decided to have the MRT (Machine Readable Table) format writing first. The same CDS code as been used now will be used, just the template of the written table will be in the MRT format.

Points to be noted regarding this and the immediate things that have been and will done are as follows:

  • Leave out writing all the optional CDS ReadMe fields as of now. These can be dealt with individual PRs later.
  • Some tests fail because start_line = None doesn't work. It has been introduced once again within CdsData.write function in addition to been defined in the main Cds class. The test failure occurs because CdsData now inherits from FixedWidthData which itself inherits basic.BasicReader instead of BaseReader. I should make sure that all tests pass properly.
  • Have a template for MRT tables and write them first. Title, Authors, Date, Caption and Notes sections, i.e. all sections except the Byte-By-Byte and the Data itself, will be left blank in the template, with warning for the user to put them in manually afterwards.
  • Documentation for the CDS/MRT format writer.
  • At present issue a warning note for tables with two or more mix-in columns (SkyCoord cols primarily). If ways to correctly work out such situations is thought of, add that feature in a separate PR.
  • Work with a copy of the original table, so that  the copy is modified and not the original table, when component coordinate columns are written. The modified copy of the table is written to a file, while the user retains access to the columns of the original table.
  • Need to have features to recognise non Spherical coordinates, like the Cartesian coordinates, and either skip them or write them as Single column string values. Add test for such other coordinates. Also for cases when coordinates are in a SkyCoord object but the frame is not Spherical.
  • Have two other templates, one for CDS in which the user fills values of optional fields manually later and another in which filling optional fields can be done from within Astropy, via a cdsdict. In separate PRs. Here too write only the required fields in the ReadMe first, like Abstract.
  • Have features for Time columns later within the original PR or much later.
  • Simplify how column format is obtained for float columns. The current manner of string formatting is too complicated. col.width value can be directly used in some cases. The Outputter class will also know the column format since it writes out the table.
  • Other minor/major edits and modifications as suggested by others.
With this PR for the MRT format table writing getting eventually merged to Astropy, the main goal of my astropy@GSoC project will be completed. The support for other extra features essentially serves as appendages to the primary task been done by this PR.
Let's see how it goes.

Oh! On another note, a few days back I received the GSoC First Evaluations payment! 😁

Adious!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I write?

Initially I wanted to title this post,  On writing Diaries , however this thought-provoking question is far better. Although it may take me a long time to be an author per se, more or less, I have been a continuous writer since my seventh grade. What started with jotting down non-sense farce on daily routines during the middle school years, has now grown into some fierce rhetoric on vast ranging topics important to me in general. So, what is it about writing that I like so much? Unlike most of my friends, what has made me go on for so long now? Why do I write? And why do I plan to write more vigorously, more persuasively and more indiscriminately than ever in the coming future? Well, there isn't any plain simple answer to these. I write because I like to write. I write because it gives reality to all of these thoughts inside my head which couldn't find an route through the tongue. I write because it often makes me feel good. I write because I find this the best way to convey my

An Ordinary Day

To a majority of us, it is a known fact that some days are actually longer than a day. The day in question, however, wasn't. It was in fact meant to be one of the driest and the most barren of the days. The kind of a day one mostly spends snug on the bed with the largest exertion afforded to the limbs being the quiet finger pressings on a touch screen. And yet, looking back now, the singular chain of events from that day, though ordinary in themselves, assume such a perplexing proportion when taken together, that the day has remained so unequivocally imprinted in my mind. At that time I was working as a JSPS Post-Doctoral fellow in the Department of Physics at the University of Tokyo. I had come to Japan from India as a Master’s student about six years prior and had been living in Tokyo since then. Following the PhD degree, owing to my fascination with the city and in order to satisfactorily sum up my current research, I had chosen to continue at the

More reliance on technology means lesser human thinking ability!?

To a great extent I disagree with the statement that more reliance on technology will surely deteriorate human thinking ability. I find this idea to be faulty and based on some short term focus on human behavior. In my opinion the time period talked of is increased and a broader outlook is taken, technology will more probably become an integral part of our lives. In contrast to declining the human intellect, technological aides like hearing machines and seeing glasses will complement our abilities to interact with nature and greatly enhance our experiences.  Image © The New York Times Company Further, the statement appears dubious when one considers even our own present day experiences. For instance, the other day I saw a live telecast of the graduation ceremony of IIT Bombay on the internet. Owning to the COVID-19 condition, this year's batch had to rely upon tele-conferencing technologies to at